Welcome to the 3rd Grade Social Studies Page!
We will be studying Shasta County (Past and Present) this year, starting with prehistory, then the Native American tribes that lived in the area and traveling through time to modern day Shasta County.
Curriculum: Social Studies Weekly
Common Core Standards: Grade 3 Theme - Continuity and Change
- Students in grade three learn more about our connections to the past and the ways in which particularly local, but also regional and national, government and traditions have developed and left their marks on current society, providing common memories. Emphasis is on the physical and cultural landscape of California, including the study of American Indians, the subsequent arrival of immigrants, and the impact they have had in forming the character of our contemporary society.
- Students describe the physical and human geography and use maps, tables, graphs, photographs, and charts to organize information about people, places, and environments in a spatial context.
- Students describe the Native American nations in their local region long ago and in the recent past.
- Students draw from historical and community resources to organize the sequence of local historical events and describe how each period of settlement left its mark on the land.
- Students understand the role of rules and laws in our daily lives and the basic structure of the U.S. government.
- Students demonstrate basic economic reasoning skills and an understanding of the economy of the local region.
Shasta Historical Society - www.shastahistorical.org