BIOMIMICRY - Using nature to make our lives better
Start here: A note from Mrs. Erickson about the week.
Day 1 - Biomimicry Research
1. Watch the video Plagiarizing Nature -
Watch the video - CBS Sunday Morning - The Fascinating World of Biomimicry
2. Go to the website and explore more examples of biomimicry.
3. Choose ONE of the two following assignments:
A. Go on a scavenger hunt around your house and see if you have any of the materials you have seen or ones you think might be inspired by a plant or animal. Draw a picture of your item and what plant or animal the idea came from.
B. Pick your favorite example of biomimicry from the videos or off the internet and draw the plant or animal on one side of your paper and the way we use it for on the other side of your paper.
Day 2 - Mystery Science -
1. Follow the link to Mystery Science and click "I am a Student" to view the lesson - Why Don't Trees Blow Over in the Wind
2. Complete the activity in the video:
(In this Mystery, students examine structures like roots, branches, and leaves that keep trees from blowing down. In the activity, Wind-Proof Umbrella, they use their observations to create their own tree-inspired umbrellas that stay up in the wind.)
*If you do not have the exact same supplies as Doug, that's okay. Use whatever you have at your house. Your goal is to make an umbrella that doesn't blow over as quickly when the wind blows but still shades you from the sun. Do your best and have fun!
Does this interest you? For more fun exploring this topic, go to...